It’s crazy that I haven’t posted since late September. Life has been busy! It’s late January now and we are cranking along inside. The hopeful completion date is Memorial Day, but we’ll see. Remember, we’re just weekend warriors and not every weekend works.
We have heat and most insulation in now, so it’s no problem staying in there at night. There was a window where we were insulating with no heat and it was only 15 degrees, so that was chilly. We did NOT sleep there on those nights fortunately.
The roof was a bear, but John was a beast nailing in the 22 foot rafters (62 of them) as I sent them up to him from the side staging. My buddy Lane came to help with the roof and helped us get all the plywood up the ladders and nailed on. His shoulders were hurting for several days. We got the Grace (ice and water shield on) just before the first snow. We had some windows in October where it was nice weather and we got the metal roofing on.
After that, it was time to finish the walls up and install the windows. As you can see, the cathedral ceiling is very high about (26 feet from the first floor), so staging work and getting off that fear of heights had to go away quick!
Once the sheathing was on, and we put up the soffits and trim, it was time to put a door on and move inside. That happened in mid November, and then we had to do some interior framing of the bedroom and bathroom. I spent most of early-mid December putting up 2 inch foam board under the floors in the crawl space. That really sucked, but I’m glad it’s done and will be great for not attracting bugs/rodents.
December and January have been insulation months. Electricity was completed, so we have lights and power inside (no more extension cords through the window). Heat was put in just before Xmas with a Rinnai Propane Direct Vent heater. We put it at 75 degrees and ran it for several hours with just wall insulation (nothing on the ceiling) and it stayed 60 degrees consistently with air temps outside in the teens. Now that we’ve put up most of the ceiling insulation, we’re seeing that the propane heater will have NO problem heating up the entire camp.
The ceiling insulation and foam board going over it should be done just before February. February will be drywall month. March will be about putting up the tongue and groove pine ceiling, and painting walls. Plumbing will happen sometime in March. Hopefully April we'll be doing a lot of finish work, with deck and floors finished in May.
That’s the goal! Learning a lot and I’ve added some captions to pictures to detail things that I’ve learned along the way. Stay tuned for more updates!